When looking for home loan help, please know that help from the Department of Housing and Urban Development is free.
Below are some of the warning signs that HUD has put together:
" Beware of Foreclosure Rescue Scams - Help Is Free!
- Beware of anyone who asks you to pay a fee in exchange for a counseling service or modification of a delinquent loan.
- Scam artists often target homeowners who are struggling to meet their mortgage commitment or anxious to sell their homes. Recognize and avoid common scams.
- Assistance from a HUD-approved housing counselor is FREE.
- Beware of people who pressure you to sign papers immediately, or who try to convince you that they can "save" your home if you sign or transfer over the deed to your house.
- Do not sign over the deed to your property to any organization or individual unless you are working directly with your mortgage company to forgive your debt.
- Never make a mortgage payment to anyone other than your mortgage company without their approval."
For more information about scams and "Making Homes Affordable" please visit their website at